Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: Shadows


Title: Shadows
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Release Date: September 25th 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 528
Source: Gifted



Summary: 

"The Apocalypse does not end. The Changed will grow in numbers. The Spared may not survive.

Even before the EMPs brought down the world, Alex was on the run from the demons of her past and the monster living in her head. After the world was gone, she believed Rule could be a sanctuary for her and those she’d come to love.
But she was wrong.

Now Alex is in the fight of her life against the adults, who would use her, the survivors, who don’t trust her, and the Changed, who would eat her alive"

My Thoughts: 

After finishing Ashes last year, it was no surprise how badly I wanted this book. So when I finally got my hands on a copy I couldn't wait to tear into it. Unfortunately to my disappointment, Shadows fell flat for me. 

A huge problem I had with the story were the new multiple perspectives introduced in this book. To be honest It felt very sudden and confusing at first and it really threw me off from reading. I would have much rather of had Alex been the main protagonist like before because the other perspectives just felt so tedious and I often lost interest through a lot of the book. It was also difficult to care for certain characters because they were so new or I knew so little of them previously to actually care for them. The final blow for me was the climax at the end of the book. I know Ilsa was trying to create an intense atmosphere with the dual perspectives of two particular characters but the switching back and forth completely ruined it for me. Overall the new perspectives just left me with a big headache.

The pacing in this book really seemed to drag on through a lot of the story.The plot felt like it wasn't going anywhere for a long time and I struggled often with trying to motivate myself to finish certain chapters. Certain parts also felt extremely dull and boring. Considering how big this book is I was hoping it would read quicker but it felt even longer sometimes while reading it. It wasn't until the last third of the book that things started to finally pick up in pace and began to flow greatly. I was on the edge of my bed with excitement toward the end. The cliff hanger killed me though!

The horror in this story was just as creepy as the last one. The one thing I admire about Ilsa is how she isn't afraid to bring on the gruesome and ugly. Shadows had tons of violent and intense scenes and Ilsa's descriptions left me with such horrific imagery that I thought about in my sleep (totally creepy)! The ''zombies'' in this book are even worse than before and the things they do to survivors is so disturbing I often had to put the book down and look at kittens to get my mind back to normal. As gross as it sounds the “Changed” were my favorite thing about this book because of how they livened up the dullness and brought back suspense. 

Shadows just wasn't my cup of tea and it really pains me to say that considering how much I loved Ashes. I wouldn't say I hated this book, because I really did enjoy most of it. I think the dual perspectives are what ultimately bothered me the most. I plan to read the next book but hope it resembles Ashes rather than this one. 

Rating: 3/5  



No comments:

Post a Comment