Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Release Date: October 4th 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Source: Purchased


 Summary (from Goodreads):
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life”

My Thoughts:
I first heard about Eve way back in the fall when the plethora of dystopian books seemed to be popping out. I remember being intrigued at the premise of the book, I mean it kind of sounds like a movie synopsis rather than a book summary. Needless to say, I think I would have enjoyed this book better as a movie.

A major issue that I had with reading this book was the pace. Don't get me wrong, I love books that get the plot rolling, but with Eve it just seemed too fast. Within only a few chapters the main character (Eve) drastically changed in a rather unbelievable way. She changed because of a major point in the plot but the issue was, I just couldn't see why Eve would change her mind so quickly. Eve spent years in a school that taught her to fear men and the world outside the school's protective fence. Eve had everything at the Girl's school - best friends, a bright future, and she was even a leader there, her classes valedictorian . One conversation was all it took to completely crumble Eve's world and send her onto her journey. I just couldn't wrap my head around why it was so easy for her to change! From that point on I just feel as though the story progressed way too fast. Also, I had a HUGE problems with Eve herself. When I read books I like being able to peak inside the main characters head and feel what they do in order to make difficult decisions. I didn't get that with Eve. In fact, Eve was a really annoying protagonist. Many times through out the book I just wanted to slap her the crap out of her.

I know this review has been mostly negative, but there are good things about Eve too. The world building was interesting and was on good route. The side kick characters (Arden and Caleb) were pretty enjoyable and made up for some of Eve's downfalls. Even the romance between Caleb and Eve was okay. About a third of the way through the book things started to
slow down and the book got better. A lot better in my opinion. While this book didn't leave that big of a lasting impression on me, I still loved Anna Carey's writing style. Eve was just a decent read for me, but don't let my review scare you off from reading Eve though. Other bloggers loved it and I always encourage people to make their own opinions on books. I have higher hopes for the sequel which comes out July 3rd.

Rating: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for honest review, I have been wondering about this one, because I like the blurb.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete