Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: Burn for Burn


Title: Burn for Burn
Author: Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Source: Purchased

Summary:
“BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.”
My Thoughts: 
I first read Jenny Han’s The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy and fell in love with it. When I heard she was coming out with a new book I could not wait. I loved the idea of three very different girls coming together for one thing – revenge.

The one thing that I really liked about this story was how three girls bonded and came together. Out of all of them, Mary’s perspectives were by far my favorite. I could identify more with Mary and her past than the other two and wanted to see how her end of the revenge worked out. As for the other two, Lillia and Kat, I didn’t really get attached to. Lillia’s character seemed to me like the typical popular girl. To me there wasn’t anything special to her. My feelings were the same for Kat too.

As far as the actual plot, I really enjoyed seeing the planning and scheming the girls did. The actual revenge scenes themselves were satisfying and totally drama filled. While I loved some parts of the book, others just felt boring and cliché. Just like typical high school drama, which I mean is okay, but I was expecting something a little more.

While I read this book thinking it was a contemporary, but towards the end there’s a plot twist that completely throws me off. The whole story takes a huge turn that made me confused. It just wasn’t what I was expecting.

While the book is very entertaining and I did enjoy it, it just wasn’t amazing. If you’re looking for a lighter read then I suggest picking this up.
Rating: 3/5

1 comment: