Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: The New Hunger


Title: The New Hunger
Author: Isaac Marion
Release Date: January 28th 2013
Publisher: Zola Books
Pages: 140 (ebook)
Source: Purchased

Summary:
“New York is a bayou. New Orleans is a reef. The entire country has been devastated by natural disasters and governmental collapse, and on top of everything else there is the annoying problem of zombies trying to devour you at every turn. But sixteen-year-old Nora and her younger brother Addis are about to discover the most frightening thing yet: being abandoned in this horrific world by their own parents.

Left with only a bag of clothes and a first-aid kit, Nora and Addis begin a harrowing journey to connect with anyone who isn't looking to rob them or eat them. A wounded man wrecks a meal of green beans and French fries at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle. An attempt to get a good night’s sleep in a fortified motel is ruined by an undead face staring at them through the window. And they just can’t seem to shake someone – something – that’s been following them everywhere they go….

Meanwhile, a girl named Julie is traveling toward the city in an SUV with her parents. She is only twelve, but has already seen friends die and her school burn. She has watched her father become nearly as cold and remorseless as the Dead. All she wants is someplace to call home, even if it never really will be.

And somewhere nearby, a tall man awakens in the woods, unsure of exactly where he is, or even who he is. As he struggles to remember details of his life, a single consonant comes to him: R. He is…a name that begins with R….

Isaac Marion once again demonstrates his remarkable gifts as a storyteller as he brings the world of WARM BODIES back to life. Grounding his characters in real emotion, Marion makes you root for them to save the world even as they simply try to stay alive.”
My Thoughts: 
It’s no secret that I loved Warm Bodies and when I found out Isaac made a prequel I may have squealed and flailed a bit. Even though it’s so short, I LOVED IT. I just LOVED it.

Its incredible how in such a short novella, Isaac was able to create such an apocalyptic world that seemed so real I felt like I was part of it. Seeing R from when he first turns was so insightful. I really liked watching him try to fight of becoming a zombie and to try and stay as human as possible. It made me like him even more than I did originally and I didn’t think that was possible. R’s story was probably my favorite out of the three because of how profound and deep is thoughts are. R is such a complex and interesting character because he is so different.

It was neat seeing Julie as a child and seeing some insight into her. Though I thought it was a tad boring I still liked seeing a snippet of her mother.

The most depressing and terrifying story involves Nora and Addis. To be fair, I feel like this whole prologue was Nora’s and just featured R and Julie. It was heart breaking to watch Nora struggle to survive and protect her little brother from the world and the monsters inhabiting it. I was such a contrast of seeing Addis in this world. He’s only a boy and still has his innocence. I really loved him and the happy lightness he added to the book.

This novella really helped answer some questions I had while reading Warm Bodies. It’s insightful and an emotional roller-coaster. If you liked Warm Bodies or zombie novels, than I suggest picking this up.

Rating: 5/5 

My review of Warm Bodies is here

No comments:

Post a Comment